NEW – The Best 3-SEASON PIER in Door County
The 3-Season Pier was recently introduced by Pier & Waterfront Solutions (PWS). This pier is made to withstand the rapidly changing conditions on Green Bay.
Another pier? Why?
The “why” is simple – it’s essential to have the best possible pier with all of the changing weather conditions on both sides of the Door County peninsula. The dramatic changes in recent years have caused a lot of pier and shore damage.
PWS improved on the best features of all the brands and introduced additional features.
With this latest announcement, the 3-Season Pier is the newest innovation from
Pier & Waterfront Solutions – THE innovation leader in Door County.
WHY WAS THE 3-SEASON PIER NEEDED?
The real-life problems caused by high waters required a more durable steel pier design. A combination of record-high water depths and stronger storms wreaked havoc with the piers on Green Bay in 2019.
Something had to be done.
PWS spent two years developing this steel pier for Wisconsin. It becomes the best solution for the current and expected future conditions on the Bay.
Has the 3-Season pier been tested?
YES. To test the design, PWS placed the new piers on some of the toughest stretches of Green Bay and the shores of Lake Michigan. PWS selected sites where real stamina was required. Now, after improving the design further, the new 3-Season Pier becomes available to everyone.
Why does the 3-Season Pier look like other piers?
While it may look similar to other brands, a closer inspection shows improvements just about everywhere, including:
- A robust 11 Ga. (.120) steel frame – exceeding every removable dock;
- The heaviest, removable steel pier for Wisconsin waters – for added strength;
- For more durability, 2 ” diameter, schedule 40, steel legs – vs. the smaller 1 1/2′”diameter legs);
- Maintenance-free, open decking, securely fastened with stainless screws – no more lost decking after a storm;
- 45% open decking surface area – relieves upward pressure and reduces “lifting” of the pier during storms;
- 10″ side frames (including the ramps) vs. typical 8″ or 9″ side frames – more strength and weight;
- Enlarged side platforms – 80 sq. foot instead of the much smaller 64 sq. foot platforms – 16 sq. feet more walking area;
- Maintenance-free, 45% open decking remains cool in summer – versus planks which get hot and slippery;
- The decking is self-cleaning (no place for water to pool), less slippery and more comfortable to walk on;
- Two available decking colors – Tan & Gray;
- Bonus – Seagulls do not like open decking;
- 20-foot access ramps for gentle, natural access to the pier- no more steep climbs. Great for young and old.
- Additional leg pockets on the ramp to adjust the height and allow water & debris to pass under it;
- A complete line of accessories;
- Fully removable for Wisconsin winters.
Everyone knows, in recent years, the water levels rose dramatically – 39″ as of this writing. Some projections predict up to 60″ by this spring. We have never seen these water levels before. The high water levels resulted in a large amount of pier and shoreline damage.
With such dramatic changes, PWS realized the pier needs of our customers had changed also.
HOW DID PWS RESPOND?
First, PWS introduced “open decking” to relieve the pressure on the pier’s surface. This type of decking results in a 45 % decrease in the upward pressure from waves. As a result, much of the water passes harmlessly through the decking.
Second, PWS responded by raising the existing piers to adjust for the storms. The goal – to get the docks to a safer height and reduce the damage from storms.
The alternative – “planks” – have a mere 1/2″ gap, spaced every 6.” As a result, the planks and pier frames take the full, upward force of the waves.
As a side note – The 3-Season pier uses self-draining, open decking, which allows rain to wash the dirt off the surface — no need to scrub it. Plus, it’s comfortable and cool to walk or lay on! As an added benefit, seagulls, do not like the open design because it is not a solid surface and tend to stay off of it.
HAS PWS MADE OTHER CHANGES?
PWS began strengthening shorelines with rip-rap. In case you missed it, check out our posts in Sept. 2019 and a whole series starting Jan 7th.
Does rip-rap actually work?
Need convincing that rip-rap works? Follow this youtube video for the answer to that question. It is about 7 minutes long. The story really begins at 30 seconds, and by 60 seconds, you will have your answer. After viewing the video, contact Dave @ (920) 905-2588 or email Dave@wisconsinpws.com. He’ll answer your questions or make an appointment!
Tell Your Friends & Family
Visit Pier & Waterfront Solutions on Facebook also.
Don’t Forget – Considering rip-rap for your shoreline? PWS is the place to contact!
Where is Pier & Waterfront Solutions?
ARE WE OPEN?
During this time of uncertainty, Pier & Waterfront Solutions is staying “open.” We have implemented measures to ensure the safety of our employees and visitors. At the same time, we are working to maintain the trusted service that you have come to expect.
We are implementing these precautionary measures:
- Conducting as much business as possible by email, text, or phone.
- Site visits will continue but with limited in-person meetings.
- When in-person contacts are necessary, we will follow “social distancing” guidelines.
- Our display yard is always open for you to examine at your leisure. All displays have a numbered, red tag on them. If you want more information or pricing, please reference that number.
Is there More?
- Some employees will be working remotely, but they are always available by phone.
- Any employee with symptoms or illness is sent home.
- We continue to provide estimates and invoices by email to make the process paperless.
- Crew starting times are being staggered to limit social interactions.
- We keep the same crews together to limit cross interactions.
With these measures, we hope everyone will stay safe, and we will be back to normal operations soon.
What can YOU do to help us?
- Please conduct as much business as possible via emails, messaging, and emails. This step protects everyone involved.
- When you see our crews installing equipment, please practice “social distancing.”
Thank you for allowing us to work with you.
So – YES – WE ARE OPEN!
Please call, message, or email us with any questions.
Let’s all stay safe!
Jerry @ (920) 493-4404 or Jerry@wisconsinpws.com – Commercial work & new/used Sales.
Dave @ (920) 905-2588 or Dave@wisconsinpws.com – Erosion control & shoreline work.
Keri @ (920) 493-4405 or Keri@wisconsinpws.com – Scheduling & Service work